Saturday, November 27, 2010

Please Don't Ask Me

My mom joked not long after my dad got his new pick-up truck that he was going to need that bumper sticker that said "Yes, this is my truck. No, I won't help you move." Little did I know that friends of those who have trucks can be roped into helping as well.

A dear friend, who knows how much I hate helping people move, asked me if I could borrow my dad's truck and help her out! I don't mind spending an afternoon helping her unpack, and I did offer to help with that. But for the actual packing and moving portion of her journey across town, I gave her a website address where she can get moving quotes from reputable companies in the area.

I have never asked her (or anyone who is not immediate family) to help me move before, and I never will. I just do not think it is fair to expect a full afternoon of work out of friends and pay them in pizza.

Anyway, she thanked me for the offer and said she would let me know, but now I am feeling very guilty. Why? Like I said, I have never asked her to help me move before. Also, I would have to find a babysitter for Samantha to help her in any consequential way.

Well, I suppose I should sign off the computer for awhile and work on getting this house clean. I can hear Samantha babbling to herself through the monitor, but I doubt she will continue to be this good for very long.

So, leave me a comment. Tell me, what is your 'helping people move' policy? It may help my conscience, but will it help our friendship if I pay for part of her moving expenses? A gift certificate to the moving company maybe?

No comments:

Anniversary Ticker Countdown

Daisypath Anniversary tickers